Sometimes I make playlists of songs and publish them online.
You can listen to them on Spotify or simply read the track listing here.
St Patrick's Day Punk
AKA: Puncaí na hÉireann.
- Published on the 17th of March, 2021
- A playlist of punk music from Ireland, not Celtic punk or Irish punk or whathaveyou.
- Burn It Down - Dexy's Midnight Runners
- Turkish Song of the Damned - The Pogues
- There's A Fish On Top of Shandon (Swears He's Elvis) - Five Go Down To The Sea?
- Going Norway - Girl Band
- Knocknaheeny Shuffle - Five Go Down To The Sea?
- Television Screen - The Radiators From Space
- Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
- Trash Glam Baby - The Boomtown Rats
- Rats - Pillow Queens
- Twinkle - Whipping Boy
- Justa Nother Teenage Rebel - The Outcasts
- My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones
- Liberty Bell (single version) - Fontaines DC
- Humane - Microdisney
- Territory (single version) - Gender Chores
- The Sick Bed of Cúchulainn - The Pogues
- ¡No Pasarán! (Are You Getting The Picture) - Paranoid Visions
- 464 - Microdisney
- The Glee Club - Five Go Down To The Sea?
- Barbed Wire Love - Stiff Little Fingers
- Like Clockwork - The Boomtown Rats
- John Wayne - Rocky DeValera And The Rhythm Kings
- Neon Heart - The Boomtown Rats
- Lost Decade - Rats Blood
- An Bhfuil Tú Sásta? - Paranoid Visions
- Gotta Getaway - Stiff Little Fingers
- You're A Disease - The Outcasts
- Stupid Kid - Sultans of Ping FC
- Mars Bars - The Undertones
- Kick Me With Your Leather Boots - Sultans of Ping FC
- Self Conscious Over You - The Outcasts
- Rat Trap - The Boomtown Rats
- Song of Co-Aklan - Cathal Coughlan
- Downmarket - The Blades
- Save My Soul - Panik Attaks
- Loftholdingswood - Microdisney
- Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers
These are songs or performances of songs which are not on Spotify but which I think deserve to be on the playlist.
- Theme for Thought - The Virgin Prunes (1979, RTÉ One)
- I don't know how or why the Virgin Prunes ended up on
- The Late Late Show, but I'm glad they did.
- Song of the Faithful Departed - The Radiators
- In glorious potatovision, it's the Radiators, having dropped the
- "From Space" to reflect their growing artistic maturity.
- Or so I assume. This is probably their best-known song
- due to a cover by folk singer Christy Moore.
- I kid about the name,but they do demonstrate
- a real maturity here with this cutting critique of
- Ireland's national myths.
- Only Losers Take The Bus
- Cathal Coughlan and the Fatima Mansions perform
- one of their great singles in a music video
- filmed in the Cork Synagogue.
- Sail And Rail - Sissy ft. Radie Peat
- A massive audio-visual assault on the
- power of the Catholic Church in Ireland.
- I think this video sums up the movement
- for abortion rights in Ireland for me,
- and it makes me cry every time I watch it.
- A must-watch.